Highlighting the curious, the obscure and the best of Columbus Blue Jackets NHL memorabilia

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

THE Derek Dorsett-signed jersey

The Real Deal.  With a story to match.
From reader Alison, a tale of devotion, admiration and...bunny ears:
It all started during the playoffs when I really took a liking to Derek Dorsett. He just stood out to me on the ice - its the way he plays, his tenacity and his drive to give his all for every single second that he's on the ice, he knows his role and plays his heart out. The fact that he's scrappy and will drop the gloves doesn't hurt my opinion either. 
He's been my favorite Jacket ever since...so much so, that in 2009, while waiting for my husband's adult league game to take place at Nationwide after a CBJ game, DD was spotted walking around the arena (was coming from the press box as he was recovering from his concussion). I literally ended up (practically) chasing him, just missing him, till I caught him walking thru the arena towards the locker room, and I, a 35 year old woman, asked for a pic and said I was his biggest fan. (Poor guy was freaked out by some old lady in bunny ears!) 
Two years later, DD scored a goal on my birthday and then, the next day, it was announced he was making a public appearance for Donatos - during an ice storm. I had a friend drive me up to Polaris to get his autograph, where, now a 37 year old woman, I probably freaked the poor guy out again telling him how it was my birthday on the last game when he scored. 
"Oh lordy, it's that lady again.  How does this taser work?"
The media throng assembles for The Signing of The Jersey
 All my CBJ stuff is DD (Hats for Heroes, 3rd Jersey too!) and I'll always, forever be a Dorsett fan!
Our heroine and the object of her on-ice affection.
(But do I spy yet another jersey with more autographs?)

No comments:

Post a Comment